Good Food for All member Grace Bell taught the Eastside After School Program’s youth a simple yet delicious traditional greek recipe: Tzatziki!
She demonstrated how to prepare the dish while explaining the nutrition benefits of each ingredient.
Click on picture for recipe inspiration
Healthy tzatziki recipe
- 2 cups Plain greek yogurt.
- 2 cups grated Cucumber.
- 2 cloves grated Garlic.
- 1/2 cups finely chopped dill.
- 1/3 cups lemon juice.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon Kirkland organic no salt seasoning **optional.
Instructions- easy as 1,2,3
- Squeeze grated cucumber over sink to remove access water.
- Collect all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- stir until an even consistency is reached and serve!
**store in refrigerator
- Plain Greek yogurt is high in protein and low in sugar making it a perfect post workout snack option.
- Cucumber has a high source of fibre which is one of the healthiest carbohydrates and helps to sustain energy throughout the day.
- Dill helps with digestion, depression as well as menstrual cramps!
- Lemon juice which is high in Vitamin C as well as helps with digestion and weight loss.
- Garlic helps boost your immune system, as well as protects against common brain diseases.
- Salt contains important minerals for our body including potassium, iron, zinc and calcium that assist with fluid balance and muscle function, however some varieties are healthier options such as Himalayan and sea salt.
- Pepper stimulates the stomach which then produces more stomach acid and helps with the digestion of proteins.
- Olive Oil is a healthy fat and contains antioxidants which helps to sustain our bodies energy and performance throughout the day.
- Kirkland Organic no salt seasoning contains onions and tomatoes which both contain Vitamin C and Potassium.
eastSide afterschool program
The Eastside Afterschool Program is dedicated to inspire youth at risk, primarily from the downtown Eastside to become passionate about their mental and physical health. Providing a safe space for youth to workout, feel connected and supported by adults, as well as their peers. Good Food for All insures a continuous supply of healthy snack options as well as nutrition education. Good Food plays a large role in creating a program youth can depend on, resulting in initiative for these youth to lead healthy lifestyles.